Register Early and SAVE on In-Person Courses
Super Early-Bird: Register 60+ days before the course & save $100!
Early-Bird: Register 30-60 days before the course & save $50!
Current science and research has expanded our understanding and knowledge of the upper trunk structures and function. Becoming a master clinician in the area of cranium, head, neck, TMJ, cervical spine and rib cage, must now include an expanded understanding of:
- The three pressure systems
- Breathing and airways
- The vagal nerve
- The interdynamics of the neural/vascular systems between the central and peripheral structures
Building on the principles and skills taught in the foundational Functional Manual Therapy® courses, FMUT presents a system of evaluation and treatment, advanced manual skills of Functional Mobilization™*, motor control training, and clinical reasoning which will greatly impact your clinical practice when treating all patients. You will practice and acquire advanced skills to trace, isolate, and mobilize identified mechanical restrictions of the soft tissues, articular structures, and neurovascular tissues. While the emphasis is placed on the management of complex upper trunk cases, FMUT will expose the importance of managing the upper trunk as an integral aspect of all patient care, not just patients who present with upper trunk complaints or dysfunctions.
*Functional Mobilization™ couples active and resisted movement (PNF) with soft tissue and joint mobilization to facilitate normalization of mechanical, neuromuscular, and motor control dysfunctions. A distinction of Functional Mobilization™ is the incorporation of immediate evaluation and management of the relevant CoreFirst® neuromuscular function and motor control in the new range of motion.
Integrating the FMUT larynx treatment into my clinical practice, I notice amazing improvements in neuromuscular recruitment throughout the entire body. Mind-blowing! Glottal function is now an aspect of my evaluation for all patients.
PT, DPT, CFMT
My young female patient with neck pain and a history of multiple concussions had only experienced moderate gains after 2-3 visits of direct cervical treatment. After FMUT, I treated the sphenoid intraorally and she immediately noticed significant changes!
DPT, CSCS, OCS, CFMT
After having my vagus nerve and heart treated in FMUT, my morning blood pressure dropped from 140/90 to 118/74, the lowest in years!! And it has stayed that low!
PT, DPT, CFMT
Utilizing the Functional Mobilization techniques taught in FMUT, I treated a tinnitus patient, considered one of the worst cases ever seen by her physicians in Chicago. During our first visit, as I mobilized the soft tissues and cranium, she suddenly grabbed my arm and began to cry and was screaming, “something happened!!” There was suddenly less noise in her ear and by the end of treatment, she claimed an 80% reduction in the intensity of tinnitus. To be able to help someone who had been told there was no hope for over 8 years was a blessing!
MPT, DPT, CFMT
- Utilize the FMT clinical reasoning system to complete a comprehensive mechanical capacity, neuromuscular function, and motor assessment of the upper trunk
- Apply specific FM progression strategies to enhance the functional efficiency of the upper trunk
- Develop competence to assess and treat upper trunk structures, including cranium, TMJ, sub-cranial region, cervical spine, thoracic cage
- In supervised lab sessions, practice dynamic FM techniques for the upper trunk structures
- Restore efficient neuromuscular function and motor control at the local area of intervention, as well as the Complete Body Integration (CBI) of the treated region
- Develop strategic evaluation and treatment skills to enhance regional interdependence of the upper trunk and achieve integration within the system as a whole
- Develop treatment strategies related to voice, breathing, autonomic function, pain, and posture
- Develop home exercises to augment the FM treatment strategies
- Analyze and discuss clinical evidence and current literature related to the FMUT material
Requirements & Additional Information
Required Course Preparation
- Prior to the classroom portion of this course, all students must complete the required course preparation which includes videos, quizzes, and articles. Once enrolled in a course, required course preparation can be found by logging on to your IPA account and selecting “My Upcoming Courses.” If you have any trouble accessing the required course preparation please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. Prep time varies by course so be sure to review required course work immediately following your purchase to allow for sufficient time to complete assignments prior to the start of the course. To receive CEUs all required course preparation must be completed prior to course commencement.
- This 3 day class is quite demanding and intense. Please come well rested.
- Please have your fingernails filed and trimmed.
- Please review the PNF and FMI manuals as an understanding of this foundational FMT material is critical to the study and mastery of the advanced techniques and procedures taught in FMUT. PNF and FMI content are not reviewed as part of FMUT.
Release of Liability Form: Complete the Release of Liability Form and bring it to the course.
Half Foam Roll: (12″ x 6″ which measures 3″ tall at the apex since the 6″ round is cut in half). NOTE: You may order one from IPA or from a number of other providers. Orders that are received three weeks prior to a course, and clearly request shipment to a course, may be shipped directly to the course. All other orders will be shipped to the address given on the order. Order Half Foam Roll
Mobilization Belt: 1.5″ x 8′. NOTE: You may order one from IPA or from a number of other providers. Orders that are received three weeks prior to a course, and clearly request shipment to a course, may be shipped directly to the course. All other orders will be shipped to the address given on the order. Order Mobilization Belt
Surgical Gloves: Bring 3-4 pairs of surgical gloves which fit appropriately. This is required to be able to participate in the intra-oral lab sessions.
24 Contact Hours
To receive CEUs all required course preparation must be completed PRIOR to course commencement.
Approved for PTs in NY, IL, and CA. For a different state, please check with your state board for reciprocity of CEU approval from one of these states. IPA will provide the standard documentation needed for individual state approval if your state does not accept reciprocity. OTs, and PTAs should check with their approving body to determine if the PT approval is acceptable.
To determine if any additional state approvals have been obtained, please check facility information for a specific course. (Select more info for the specific course at the bottom of this page and then select Facility Information tab. Any additional approval will appear in the top left of the tab below the facility name.)
Earlybird Price: $750 / Regular Price: $835
Earlybird Discounts: Register at least one month prior to course commencement and receive a discount of approximately 10%. Register early and save!
Student / New Professional Discounts: Students and First Year New Professionals can receive a 20% discount. Full details here.
Repeat Discounts: IPA makes two (2) spots in each in-person course available at half-price for those repeating a course within five (5) years. Registration for the half-price spots is on a first-come basis. You must register by phone to receive a half-price repeat spot. Registering online will result in you being charged full price. Credits cannot be issued once your transaction is complete. Half-price tuition does not include a course manual or any supplies distributed at the course. Full details here.
Recommended Reading and Viewing
Illustrated Anatomy Book. It is recommended that each participant bring an illustrated anatomy book, or an electronic anatomy book app, to the course. We recommend Netter FH. Atlas of Human Anatomy. East Hanover, MNJ. Novartis 1977. Online anatomy applications work well if you have a way to access them during the course. Other illustrated anatomy books are acceptable. Atlas of Human Anatomy books may be ordered on Amazon.com or www.us.elsevierhealth.com/netter/
It is recommended that each participant reviews the Bibliography and read any article they are unfamiliar with prior to the course. All Course Bibliographies
2012 IFOMPT International Framework for Examination of the Cervical Region for potential of Cervical Arterial Dysfunction prior to Orthopaedic Manual Therapy Intervention; Authors: Rushton A, Rivett D, Carlesso L, Flynn T, Hing W, Kerry R
MYO Article: Myofascial Considerations in Somatic Dysfunction of the Thorax
PNF in Practice, Adler, Susan, Beckers, Dominiek, and Buck, Math. 4th Edition, NY: Springer Verlag, 2014. Available at Amazon.com or www.springer.com, phone 800-777-4643, fax 201-348-4505, email: email@example.com.
The Thoracic Spine and Rib Cage; Musculoskeletal Evaluation and Treatment by Tim Flynn. Chapter 10: Myofascial Consideration in Somatic Dysfunction of the Thorax. Ellis, J.J., and Johnson, G.S. Boston: Butterworth-Heinemann, 1996.
Audience & Attendance
PT, PTA, OT, SPT
Attendees agree to utilize all skills of evaluation, assessment and treatment learned in this course to the extent allowed under the regulations of their professional practice act. By registering you acknowledge that your attendance does not represent authorization by the IPA, or any of its officers, to utilize any of the material learned which may lie outside of the strict interpretation of your practice act.
Each attendee is expected to complete the required pre-course work before the course begins, and attend all hours of instruction to receive a certificate of completion. Any exceptions to this policy must be pre-approved in writing by the Directors.
- Each participant’s body must be accessible for observation and treatment of the rib cage, thoracic and cervical spine.
- Women: Halter tops, sports bras, or similar.
- Please refrain from wearing large or sharp jewelry.
- It is recommended to wear layers for comfort between labs as temperatures may vary in the room.
While we continue to cope with the presence of COVID-19, the IPA shall adhere to ongoing CDC guidelines related to food and beverage consumption at each course. To avoid community spread, participants are requested to bring their own drink and any desired snack. Each participant will be requested to step out of the room while consuming drink or food or create a socially acceptable distance from other participants.
While specific instructors are scheduled for each course, circumstance may necessitate instructor changes. In addition, the final number of instructors is determined by enrollment. Course refunds or transfers are not granted related to changes in the designated instructor or number of instructors.
- 1 Instructor: ≤ 20 participants
- 2 Instructors: 22 – 32 participants
- 3 Instructors: ≥ 34 participants
Dates & Locations
Encompass Physical Therapy LLCAnnapolis, MDNov 10, 2023 EST - Nov 12, 2023 EST
Schedule Location Date & Time Encompass Physical Therapy LLC Annapolis , MD Starts at 8:00 am EST
Ends at 8:30 am EST
Encompass Physical Therapy LLC Annapolis , MD Starts at 8:30 am EST
Ends at 7:00 pm EST
Encompass Physical Therapy LLC Annapolis , MD Starts at 8:00 am EST
Ends at 6:30 pm EST
Encompass Physical Therapy LLC Annapolis , MD Starts at 8:00 am EST
Ends at 4:00 pm EST