Register Early and SAVE on In-Person Courses
Super Early-Bird: Register 60+ days before the course & save $100!
Early-Bird: Register 30-60 days before the course & save $50!
Patients with chronic and recurring pain or dysfunction challenge most clinicians. Often, the source of the unresolved pain or dysfunction is remote to the presenting signs and symptoms. Understanding the concept of total body integration and function is more than just a concept, it is an anatomical and neurophysiological expression of our genetics. The myofascial system and neurovascular system are laid down throughout embryological development to tie together the whole body to promote more efficient function and locomotion.
To effectively treat any patient’s presenting pain or dysfunction, a clinician must practice advanced manual therapy within the construct of total body interdependence and function. CBI utilizes Functional Movement Patterns (FMPs), adapted from Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement (ATM) lessons . These FMPs allow the participant to evaluate functional efficiency both locally as well as in an integrated component of regional and total body function.
The evaluation process proceeds from non-weight bearing motions to weight bearing activities. Specific FMT training sequences progress from flexion to lateral motions, to extension and conclude with rotational FMPs.
Taking CBI changed my life in so many ways. I now see PT through the lens of focusing on the potential of what we can do! Also, after having the soft tissues of my diaphragm and rib cage treated while performing the FMPs (Functional Movement Patterns), my chronic morning cough has disappeared and I am no longer struggling to breathe while running!
So many people talk about treating the whole body, but CBI really delivered. Using FMPs (Functional Movement Patterns) to identify the impact of mechanical restrictions in one part of the body on the whole system was amazing. There were several participants in my class that had received a lot of treatment for specific issues, but it was only after challenging the integration of that body part with FMPs that the true source of the dysfunction was identified.
- Utilize the FMT clinical reasoning system to complete a comprehensive mechanical capacity, neuromuscular function, and motor control assessment of the complete body and develop an understanding of total body integration
- Develop confidence in the skill of full body evaluation and the ability to observe and identify the regional interdependence
- Utilize Functional Movement Patterns (FMPs) to observe, trace, and isolate of tissue and articular dysfunctions and associated neuromuscular function or motor control impairments
- Utilize advanced Functional Mobilization™*, PNF, and CoreFirst® Strategies to effectively treat and restore efficient complete body integration and function
- Become proficient at adapting FMPs for specific home exercise programs to ensure motor learning with repetition
- Analyze and discuss clinical evidence and current literature related to the CBI material
Requirements & Additional Information
Required Course Preparation
- Prior to the classroom portion of this course, all students must complete the required course preparation which includes videos, quizzes, and articles. Once enrolled in a course, required course preparation can be found by logging on to your IPA account and selecting “My Upcoming Courses.” If you have any trouble accessing the required course preparation please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. Prep time varies by course so be sure to review required course work immediately following your purchase to allow for sufficient time to complete assignments prior to the start of the course. To receive CEUs all required course preparation must be completed prior to course commencement.
- This 2.5 day class is quite demanding and intense. Please come well rested.
- Please have your fingernails filed and trimmed.
- Please review the PNF and FMI manuals as an understanding of this foundational FMT material is critical to the study and mastery of the advanced techniques and procedures taught in CBI. PNF and FMI content are not reviewed as part of CBI.
Release of Liability Form: Complete the Release of Liability Form and bring it to the course.
Half Foam Roll (12″ x 6″ which measures 3″ tall at the apex since the 6″ round is cut in half) You may order one from IPA or from a number of other providers. Order from IPA at least three weeks prior to a course to ensure delivery prior to the course. Order Half Foam Roll
Mobilization Belt: 1.5″ x 8′ You may order one from IPA or from a number of other providers. Order from IPA three weeks prior to a course to ensure delivery prior to the course. Order Mobilization Belt
Dycem: 5″ x 5″ Dycem. You may order regular or premium Dycem from IPA. Order at least 3 weeks prior to the course to ensure delivery before the course. Order Premium Dycem or Standard Dycem
20 Contact Hours
To receive CEUs all required course preparation must be completed PRIOR to course commencement.
Approved for PTs in NY, IL, and CA. For a different state, please check with your state board for reciprocity of CEU approval from one of these states. IPA will provide the standard documentation needed for individual state approval if your state does not accept reciprocity. OTs, and PTAs should check with their approving body to determine if the PT approval is acceptable.
To determine if any additional state approvals have been obtained, please check facility information for a specific course. (Select more info for the specific course at the bottom of this page and then select Facility Information tab. Any additional approval will appear in the top left of the tab below the facility name.)
Earlybird Price: $650 / Regular Price: $725
Earlybird Discounts: Register at least one month prior to course commencement and receive a discount of approximately 10%. Register early and save!
Student / New Professional Discounts: Students and First Year New Professionals can receive a 20% discount. Full details here.
Repeat Discounts: IPA makes two (2) spots in each in-person course available at half-price for those repeating a course within five (5) years. Registration for the half-price spots is on a first-come basis. You must register by phone to receive a half-price repeat spot. Registering online will result in you being charged full price. Credits cannot be issued once your transaction is complete. Half-price tuition does not include a course manual or any supplies distributed at the course. Full details here.
Recommended Reading and Viewing
Illustrated Anatomy Book. It is recommended that each participant bring an illustrated anatomy book, or an electronic anatomy book app, to the course. We recommend Netter FH. Atlas of Human Anatomy. East Hanover, MNJ. Novartis 1977. Online anatomy applications work well if you have a way to access them during the course. Other illustrated anatomy books are acceptable. Atlas of Human Anatomy books may be ordered on Amazon.com or www.us.elsevierhealth.com/netter/
It is recommended that each participant reviews the Bibliography and read any article they are unfamiliar with prior to the course.
All Course Bibliographies
Awareness Through Movement: Health Exercises for Personal Growth. Feldenkrais, Moshe. Harper & Row, 1972. To order, call Feldenkrais Resources at (510) 540-7600.
Anatomy Trains. Myers, Thomas W. China: Churchill Lingstone, 2001.
Trail Guide to the Body, Biel, Andrew, 5th Edition 2014. Books of Discovery. www.booksofdiscovery.com, 800-775-9227 or email@example.com
Audience & Attendance
PT, PTA, OT, SPT
Attendees agree to utilize all skills of evaluation, assessment and treatment learned in this course to the extent allowed under the regulations of their professional practice act. By registering you acknowledge that your attendance does not represent authorization by the IPA, or any of its officers, to utilize any of the material learned which may lie outside of the strict interpretation of your practice act.
Each attendee is expected to complete the required pre-course work before the course begins, and attend all hours of instruction to receive a certificate of completion. Any exceptions to this policy must be pre-approved in writing by the Directors.
- Each participant’s body must be accessible for observation and treatment.
- Women: Halter tops, sports bras, and shorts which allow access to the upper thigh.
- Men: shorts which allow access to the upper thigh.
- Please refrain from wearing large or sharp jewelry.
- It is recommended to wear layers for comfort between labs as temperatures may vary in the room.
While we continue to cope with the presence of COVID-19, the IPA shall adhere to ongoing CDC guidelines related to food and beverage consumption at each course. To avoid community spread, participants are requested to bring their own drink and any desired snack. Each participant will be requested to step out of the room while consuming drink or food or create a socially acceptable distance from other participants.
While specific instructors are scheduled for each course, circumstance may necessitate instructor changes. In addition, the final number of instructors is determined by enrollment. Course refunds or transfers are not granted related to changes in the designated instructor or number of instructors.
- 1 Instructor: ≤ 20 participants
- 2 Instructors: 22 – 32 participants
- 3 Instructors: ≥ 34 participants
Dates & Locations
IPA Physio PortlandPortland, ORJun 9, 2023 PDT - Jun 11, 2023 PDT
Schedule Location Date & Time IPA Physio Portland Portland , OR Starts at 4:30 pm PDT
Ends at 5:00 pm PDT
IPA Physio Portland Portland , OR Starts at 5:00 pm PDT
Ends at 9:30 pm PDT
IPA Physio Portland Portland , OR Starts at 8:30 am PDT
Ends at 7:00 pm PDT
IPA Physio Portland Portland , OR Starts at 8:00 am PDT
Ends at 4:00 pm PDT
Encompass Physical Therapy LLCAnnapolis, MDOct 20, 2023 EDT - Oct 22, 2023 EDT
Schedule Location Date & Time Encompass Physical Therapy LLC Annapolis , MD Starts at 4:30 pm EDT
Ends at 5:00 pm EDT
Encompass Physical Therapy LLC Annapolis , MD Starts at 5:00 pm EDT
Ends at 9:30 pm EDT
Encompass Physical Therapy LLC Annapolis , MD Starts at 8:30 am EDT
Ends at 7:00 pm EDT
Encompass Physical Therapy LLC Annapolis , MD Starts at 8:00 am EDT
Ends at 4:00 pm EDT